Green Home

Should I Be Concerned About Carbon Monoxide In My Home?

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. It is released into the air when carbon is burned in an environment where there is insufficient oxygen. Thus when carbon burns indoors, it is highly likely to produce carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide gas is often referred to as the silent killer. It has no taste or smell. It has no color. Carbon monoxide is responsible for between 20 and 30 thousand people becoming severely ill in the United States each year. Worse yet, a further 500 people per year lose their lives to carbon monoxide poisoning. You’d be wise, therefore, to feel at least some level of concern regarding carbon monoxide dangers in your home.

Since humans cannot detect the gas, how can you make sure everyone living under your roof is protected against potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning? The solution, thankfully, is very simple. You need to make sure that your home is fitted with a fully functioning carbon monoxide alarm, and that the battery is working at all times. Bear in mind that a carbon monoxide detector is not the same as an alarm. With a detector, you have to look at it several times a day just to make sure it hasn’t activated. An alarm will make a noise if carbon monoxide is detected.

In some states, you have to have a carbon monoxide detector in your home because if not, you are breaking the law. However, some people are not very good at obeying laws, despite the fact that carbon monoxide dangers are very real. Even in situations where a family does have a carbon monoxide alarm or detector, some people are not vigilant enough about checking that their piece of equipment is in good working order or ensuring the battery isn’t dead.

If you don’t have either an alarm or a detector fitted in your home, it would be very prudent to go out and purchase one at the nearest opportunity. This is true even if there is nothing to your knowledge that burns carbon in your house or garage. If you have neighbors in the next apartment, they might burn carbon indoors, and if they do, you will be at risk. You see, carbon monoxide can easily pass through porous materials such as dry wall.

If you have found this article to be of use to you, it might be a good idea to follow us. That way, you will have access to other articles about heating and air conditioning systems, as well as other household essentials that may help to keep you safe and comfortable.